About the awards
Swansea Council and Tourism Swansea Bay are proud to be jointly hosting the 2019 Swansea Bay Tourism Awards.
Tourism is a vitally important industry for Swansea Bay generating hundreds of millions of pounds in the economy, securing thousands of jobs and, with the new developments announced for the city centre, is set to grow from strength to strength over the coming years.
The Awards bring together the best of the tourism industry in Swansea Bay to celebrate achievements and look forward to a prosperous future.
The Awards have grown since they first started in 2006 to become one of the most anticipated events for the tourism industry. In 2017, over 1,000 entries were received and 500 attended the award ceremony dinner.
Industry representatives will once again gather in the Brangwyn on 14th November when the Awards will be handed out, covering a range of categories from ‘Best Large Hotel’ to ‘Best Tourism Ambassador’.
Who can enter?
The Swansea Bay Tourism Awards are open to all individuals and businesses in the Swansea Bay and Neath Port Talbot locations as well as Tourism Swansea Bay members. We encourage businesses to enter themselves into the awards (using the business entry forms) as well as encouraging their customers to nominate them using the nomination form.
Is there a cost to enter the awards?
There is no cost to enter the Swansea Bay Tourism Awards
Once I have submitted my entry, what then?
The judges will select a shortlist of finalists in each category. Closing date for entries is the 16th September 2019 (extended from the 8th)– Finalists will be notified by 1st October 2019 – the Winners of all the categories will be announced at the awards ceremony on the 14th November 2019, at the Brangwyn Hall, Swansea.
What are the 2019 Categories?
- Best Large Hotel
- Best Small Hotel or Restaurant With Rooms (Accommodation section)
- Best Guest House or B & B
- Best Self Catering Accommodation
- Best Caravan & Campsite – including Glamping & Bunkhouse
- Best Restaurant & Bistro
- Best Café & Tea Rooms
- Best Pub Food
- Best Pub or Bar
- Best Activity
- Best Attraction
- Best Festival & Event
- Best Live Music Venue (New for 2019)
- Best Wedding Venue
- Best New Or Renewed Business
- Best Dog Friendly Tourism Business
- Best Young Tourism Ambassador
- Best Tourism Ambassadors – Team
- Outstanding Services to Tourism Award
Can I enter or be nominated for multiple categories?
Yes you can, but this year we will need you to do a separate entry form for each category you enter. All entries (and nominations) are to be done through the online forms.
Nominations will open on 1st July – Nominations are simply for your customers / members of the public to have the chance to nominate you in categories they feel you deserve to be shortlisted for, so do encourage them to nominate. Nominations can help the judges when deciding who to shortlist.
2019 Judging Criteria – What we are looking for
These are the 7 areas (detailed tips under each item will be on the entry form to further explain them and guide you).
- Use of innovation – e.g unique selling points, new upgrades to improve offer, use of new technology
- Engaging with the Local Community – (things like working with other tourism businesses in partnership, keeping money in local economy by buying local)
- Sustainability – both environmental and business
- Achievements – awards, accolades, including grading
- Skills – Investment in staff training and development to give best possible visitor experience and customer service
- Social Inclusivity – taking into consideration visitors’ special and specific needs, remembering that this is more than ‘special needs’ or disabled facilities it is the act of making all groups of people within a society feel valued and important as a visitor to Swansea Bay.
- Overall Quality – your dedication to customer service, to include reference to reviews e.g tripadvisor, google, facebook reviews, customer comment book etc and other user generated content (including the nominations)
We also like to know how you give a warm Welsh welcome and try to put Swansea Bay on the map!
With most finalists it is possible you will receive a judges visit or a mystery shop.
Who are the judges?
Members of the judging panel are drawn from impartial businesses / industry representatives and our sponsors from across the Swansea Bay and South West Wales area and represent a wide variety of sectors and business types. Each member has a strong reputation in their field and a number of judges in the past have been past award winners.
The Judges strive to maintain the highest ethical standards at all times. The success of the Swansea Bay Tourism Awards has in part been built on the total honesty of the judging process and this is handled with great care. So, for example, where a judge has a connection to a business making an application in an award category, they will stand aside from any involvement in the judging of that category.
A sponsor cannot enter the category they are sponsoring.
When will I know if I have won?
Winners will be announced at a gala dinner and awards ceremony on the 14th November at the Brangwyn Hall and not before.
I am a finalist, when can I buy tickets?
Early bird tickets will go on sale when finalists are announced by 1st October.
What is the Friends of the Awards package?
This is for businesses / individuals that want to support the awards but may not be able to sponsor a category. The friends package provides a table of 10 to the awards, VIP entry, and promotion via the awards website and partner social media. Cost is £695 – contact Tourism Swansea Bay on 01792 371441 / firstname.lastname@example.org
I am interested in sponsoring the awards – what do I need to do?
Visit the become a sponsor page for all information needed